Sunday, February 10, 2008

Banana Oat Muffins


Mechelle Here with a new favorite of mine. My friend Jen gave this to me. YUM!

Banana Oat Muffins

  • 1 ¼ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
  • 1 cup whole-wheat flour
  • ½ cup sugar or honey
  • 1 ½ tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 2 cups mashed ripe bananas (4-6 bananas) I use a little more or less depending on how many bananas I have.
  • ¼ cup vegetable oil
  • ½ cup chopped nuts (optional)
  • Cinnamon sugar

Combine first six ingredients in large bowl, mixing well. Add eggs, banana and oil and stir just until moistened. Stir in nuts, if desired.

Fill greased muffin cups ⅔ full. If you use paper liners, spray with Pam before filling. Sprinkle tops with cinnamon sugar.

Bake at 375° for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Makes 12-18 muffins.

Our children love these healthy, hearty muffins. I usually triple the recipe. They can also be made with applesauce instead of bananas. Add 1/2 tsp cinnamon to the batter if using applesauce.

They freeze well. I have two ziploc bags of them in my freezer now, each containing 16 muffins. It's a good thing to pull out when we take a trip.

3 comments:

julie said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you for these recipes. What program are you using to type the recipes? They are easier to read.

julie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
chelle said...

I don't have a program, do you? What do you use? I am looking for a menu planning program. Need help. M