Monday, January 18, 2010

Coconut Fried Shrimp

1 lb raw shrimp, shelled and deveined. Butterfly if large
1/3 C lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 tsp ground ginger
3 tsp curry powder
1 3/4 C flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 1/4 C milk
1/2 C cream of coconut
flaked coconut
oil (for frying)

Marinate shrimp in lemon juice, ginger and curry powder for 1-2 hours. Drain well.

Prepare batter of 1 1/2 C flour, baking powder, milk and cream of coconut.

Dredge shrimp in remaining 1/4 C flour; dip in batter then roll in coconut. Fry in deep oil 2-3 minutes. Fry only about 6 shrimp at a time.

_______
Now this is what I did, I didn't have cream of coconut but coconut milk so I substituted part of the regular milk with the coconut milk and it didn't say what kind of flaked coconut so I just used my Baker's flaked stuff. I didn't want to go to the store. We really liked the way the sweet blended with the spicy. I also had really big shrimp so I had to butterfly them. You could add a little cayenne to the marinade to get a little heat. Hope you enjoy...

No comments: