Thursday, March 6, 2008

Chocolate Gelato with toffee bits

For anyone who does not know this, gelato is Italian ice cream! Holy Moly! (I am on a holy kick) the Sorelle (Sisters in Italian) in my mission usually gained about 40 pounds (an average) and I think 35 of that was from gelato! There is no word that can describe it, it is beyond the human tongue.

Chocolate gelato with toffee bits!!

1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbs cornstarch
pinch of salt
2 cups of whole milk, divided
5 oz bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate, finely chopped (I just used chocolate chips)
1/2 cup chilled heavy whipping cream
1/3 cup of coursely crushed toffee candy, such as Skor, Heath, etc.

Whisk sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a heavy medicum saucepan until blended. Gradually add 1/4 cup milk, whisking until cornstarch is dissolved. Whisk in remaining 1 3/4 cups milk. Whisk over medium-high heat until mixture thickens and comes to boil, about 6 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and cook 1 minute longer, whisking occasionally. Remove from heat; add chocolate. Let stand 1 minute, then whisk until melted and smooth. Transfer gelato base to medium bowl. Mix in cream. Place bowl over large bowl filled with ice and water to cool, stirring often, about 30 minutes.Process gelato base in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions, adding toffee during last minute of churning. Transfer to container; cover. Freeze at least 3 hours.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

So, I'm pretty I need a weekend of cooking lessons from you, especially since everything you've ever made for me, I've loved...and I'm pretty picky! This would be such a great thing to top off dinner for your visiting relatives sometime...hint hint ;) !