Saturday, September 13, 2008

Cranberry Sauce

I may regret this but I thought I might trying making my Cranberry Sauce. It may be the biggest mistake of my life because I may not ever be able to go back to the can.

1 C. water
1 C. sugar
3/4 C. dried cranberries
2 pear halves, (canned are fine)
1 can mandarin oranges
1/4 an apple or 3 Tbsp. canned applesauce
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. fresh nutmeg
A few sprinkles of ginger
opt. a few zests of orange peel and chopped pecans

Puree the pear, oranges and apple wedge in food processor. Bring the water and sugar to a boil to dissolve the sugar. Add the cranberries, the fruit puree, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. Stir to combine and bring to a boil. Then turn down heat and simmer for 30 minutes (15 minutes uncovered, then the last 15 covered). Let sit and cool to room temperature before serving and prepare yourself for the wonderful smell that fills the kitchen while cooking it! Some of us even liked it enough to put it on our rolls as a jam.

No comments: